If your home is in need of some upgrades, how far should you go? Should you sell as-is, or invest in significant upgrades? Fortunately, the answer usually lies somewhere in the middle: moderate improvements to best showcase your home.
Martin & Jeff's Do's & Dont's:
- Declutter and deep clean the interior of the home. Remove personal photos and extra accessories from surfaces.
- Clean all windows inside and out.
- Make sure all lightbulbs are working and bright enough for the space.
- Make sure you have working smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors (required in DC).
- Paint where needed, especially if an area is highly scuffed or the wall colors are overly bold. Buyers appreciate a neutral palette.
- Tidy outdoor spaces and plant some greenery and flowers if possible.
- Make partial updates to older kitchens and baths. Mixing old and new elements only highlights the age of the space. You need to commit to a full upgrade or let the buyer do a comprehensive remodel on their own.
- Renovate with highly unique and pricey upgrades. This extra expenditure may not translate to a higher price than nearby comparable sales can support.
With the help of the amazing Compass Concierge Program, we're able to offer our sellers the ability to upgrade and prepare their homes for sale WITHOUT paying out of pocket. Sellers pay for the repairs out of the sale proceeds at settlement, with no hidden fees and no interest. Compass Concierge can cover the cost of over 100
types of repairs.
Our program directly addresses sellers' three biggest concerns:
Ready to sell? Contact us for a comprehensive review and marketing plan tailored to your home.
- How to get their home ready for market
- How to find a great buyer as quickly as possible
- How to maximize the value of their home.